This post is excerpted from Julie Christiansen's book, Anger Solutions: Proven Strategies for Effectively Resolving Anger and Taking Control of Your Emotions.
- Over-stimulation or sensory overload. This might take the form of too much noise, too much traffic, too many people talking at once with the stereo blasting and the phone ringing, etc.
- Lack of oxygen to the brain. (Poor breathing techniques can contribute to this. We will discuss the value of good breathing later on.)
- Misperception of verbal communication due to poor filtering.
- Misperception of physical communication due to poor filtering.
- Misinterpretation of verbal and/or physical communication due to cognitive deficit (developmental delay, brain injury).